Caramelized Onion and Tomato Calzone
You can also add some chopped mushrooms
to the filling.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 8 medium onions, thinly sliced
- Pinch sugar
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- ½ lb. prepared pizza dough
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, sugar and 1/4 cup water, and. cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to color, about 12 minutes. Add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 cup water, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are sweet and deep brown, 30 minutes. Cool. Stir in basil and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray heavy baking sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle work surface with a little flour. Place dough in center, and roll to coat with flour. Knead dough briefly. Divide dough into fourths, and roll each into a 6-inch round. Place 2 rounds on baking sheet. Evenly divide onion mixture, tomatoes and cheese between 2 rounds. Cover each with remaining 2 rounds. Pinch edges to seal. Brush tops lightly with water. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.