Carrot Cupcakes with Goat Cheese Frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes
and creamy goat cheese add flair to moist, spicy carrot cupcakes.
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ cups shredded carrots
- 1 ½ Tbs. poppy seeds
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped candied ginger
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup soft goat cheese, softened
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. low-fat cream cheese
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
1. To make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F, and line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Cream butter and brown sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, and salt. Stir in carrots and poppy seeds, then raisins and candied ginger. Fold in flour until just combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
3. To make Frosting: Sift confectioners’ sugar into bowl, and set aside.
4. Beat together goat cheese and cream cheese with electric mixer. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, then fold in maple syrup with spatula. Let rest 1 hour.
5. Drizzle and spread Frosting on cooled Cupcakes.
March 2013 p.66