Cashew Butter Crunch Cookies
Maya Weinstein, an art/design student in Lafayette, CO, has always enjoyed being in the kitchen. "I grew up in an atmosphere where home-cooked, fresh foods were valued," she says. Maya has been a vegetarian for 13 years, and a vegan for several of those years.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and brown sugar in large bowl; whisk to blend.
- Put tofu in another large bowl; whisk until smooth. Add cashew butter, margarine, agave nectar and vanilla; stir to blend well. Stir in flour mixture until blended, then fold in chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Form heaping tablespoonfuls of batter into balls; place on prepared cookie sheets and press into 1 1/2- to 2-inch rounds.
- Bake cookies about 10 minutes, or until bottoms are golden brown. Transfer cookies to rack to cool.