Chai Pumpkin Pie
- 1 frozen whole-wheat piecrust
- 1 14-oz. can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 4 chai black tea bags, cut open
- 2 tsp. Irish moss powder
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin purée
1. Bake piecrust according to package directions. Cool.
2. Combine condensed milk with 3/4 cup water in saucepan. Add loose tea to milk mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Remove from heat, and steep 5 minutes. Strain, and discard tea solids.
3. Dissolve Irish moss powder in 2 Tbs. water in bowl. Whisk in milk. Return mixture to saucepan, whisk in pumpkin, and bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook 1 minute, or until thickened. Press mixture through strainer if any lumps remain. Spread hot filling in piecrust. Cool, then chill before serving.November 2013 p.44