Cheesy Potato Spoon Bread
Whip this dish together with leftover or store-bought mashed potatoes—or use instant potatoes, or mash still-hot baked potatoes. Serve with a salad.
4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbs. soy margarine
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. ground white pepper
½ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
4 large eggs, beaten, or 1 cup egg substitute
¼ cup minced fresh parsley, optional
6 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
10 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Generously butter 6 1-cup ramekins or 2-qt. soufflé dish or casserole.
- If using cold mashed potatoes, warm in large nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat until very hot, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Put flour, margarine, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in mixing bowl, and pour boiling water over mixture. Using electric mixer on low, beat for 1 minute, and add very hot mashed potatoes. Beat again well. Add eggs, and beat again, until thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix parsley, shredded cheese and cream cheese in mixing bowl. Scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into each ramekin, or put 4 cups into a prepared casserole. Make a well in center, and spoon in 2 heaping Tbs. of parsley-cheese filling. Cover filling with 4 Tbs. potato mixture. If using a casserole, top with remaining potato mixture. Place ramekins or casserole on baking sheet.
- Bake 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with sprigs of parsley, if desired.