Cheesy Potato Spoon Bread
Whip this dish together with leftover or store-bought mashed potatoes—or use instant potatoes, or mash still-hot baked potatoes. Serve with a salad.
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbs. soy margarine
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
- 4 large eggs, beaten, or 1 cup egg substitute
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- 6 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 10 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Generously butter 6 1-cup ramekins or 2-qt. soufflé dish or casserole.
2. If using cold mashed potatoes, warm in large nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat until very hot, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
3. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Put flour, margarine, onion powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in mixing bowl, and pour boiling water over mixture. Using electric mixer on low, beat for 1 minute, and add very hot mashed potatoes. Beat again well. Add eggs, and beat again, until thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Mix parsley, shredded cheese and cream cheese in mixing bowl. Scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into each ramekin, or put 4 cups into a prepared casserole. Make a well in center, and spoon in 2 heaping Tbs. of parsley-cheese filling. Cover filling with 4 Tbs. potato mixture. If using a casserole, top with remaining potato mixture. Place ramekins or casserole on baking sheet.
5. Bake 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with sprigs of parsley, if desired.