Cherry-Chocolate Baked Alaskas
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large pinch cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 4 buttery waffle cookies
- 1 pt. cherry-chocolate frozen yogurt, such as Ben & Jerry’s Cherries Garcia
- Fresh cherries, for garnish
1. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with handheld electric mixer at medium-low speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar. Increase speed to medium-high, and beat 3 to 5 minutes, or until meringue is thick and shiny, firm peaks hold when beaters are lifted, and deep path remains when spoon is drawn through.
2. Place 1 waffle cookie on work surface, and spread with 1 Tbs. meringue. Scoop generous ball of frozen yogurt using 1/4-cup ice cream scoop; press onto prepared cookie. Coat frozen yogurt ball thickly with meringue, sealing to cookie base and swirling decoratively. Place on small tray or baking sheet, and transfer immediately to freezer. Repeat with remaining cookies, meringue, and frozen yogurt. Freeze at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
3. Preheat oven to 500°F. To prevent burning, bake each Alaska one at a time, 1 to 2 minutes, or until meringue is browned in spots. Return to freezer 1 hour, or until yogurt is firm again. Arrange 1 dessert on each plate, scatter cherries around, and serve.June 2013 p.75