Cherry Cream French Toast with Agave–Almond Butter Drizzle
“I love to prepare as many fresh, vegan whole foods as possible, but sometimes I crave something sweet and creamy, so I always keep a stack of really good comfort food recipes, like French toast,” says Brooke Jones. This recipe is a variation on a go-to brunch dish she’s been making for years.
- Place cherries, vanilla, and 1 tsp. agave nectar in bowl; stir in 1 Tbs. warm water. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes, or until cherries have plumped. Strain, reserve liquid, and crush cherries into a paste with fork or mortar and pestle. Stir in cream cheese. Set aside.
- Stir almond butter into reserved cherry soaking juice for drizzle. Set aside.
- Whisk together almond milk, nutritional yeast, and remaining 1 Tbs. agave nectar in bowl.
- Toast bread 1 to 2 minutes in toaster, or until dried, but not toasted. Spread cream cheese mixture on 2 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Dip each sandwich into almond milk mixture 2 seconds; flip, and dip other side 2 seconds.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Cook sandwiches in pan 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until light brown. Cut each sandwich in half, and serve drizzled with almond butter–cherry juice mixture.