Chewy Picnic Brownies
Makes 16 brownies
powder and semisweet chocolate allowed us to cut back on the traditional high-fat, high-sugar ingredient quantities in brownies and still have a satisfyingly chewy, chocolaty dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 6 oz. (1 ½ sticks) nonhydrogenated margarine or butter, cut into
- small pieces
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
1. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt chocolate and margarine in double boiler. Remove from heat, and whisk until smooth.
3. Stir brown sugar into chocolate-butter mixture. Stir in dry ingredients. Fold in beaten eggs. Spread in prepared baking pan, and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until brownies look set, but still soft in center. Cool. Slice into squares.