Chickpea and Date Tagine
North African tagines often combine sweet and savory foods to play off the spices used to season them.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cup pitted dates, halved
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 10 minutes, or until starting to brown, stirring often. Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger, and cinnamon, and sauté 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, and 1/4 cup water; simmer 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toast couscous in small saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Add 1 3/4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
3. Stir dates and lemon juice into tagine, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve over couscous, sprinkled with cilantro.
December 2011 p.55