Chickpea and Greens Curry Soup
Marci Cooke learned to make curry-based dishes after moving to rural New Hampshire. “Country living has so many great characteristics,” she says, “but it is hard to find authentic ethnic foods.” Her two vegetarian daughters were delighted with this subtly spicy soup, which became an instant favorite of the VT staff.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach, beet greens, mustard greens, or kale
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 15-oz. can low-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 8 Tbs. plain low-fat Greek yogurt, divided, for garnish
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric, chili powder, nutmeg, and onion, and gently stir. Add spinach, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in chickpeas, tomato, broth, and coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour, skimming as necessary. Add cilantro, and garnish each serving with 1 Tbs. yogurt.
March 2011 p.13