Chickpea and Potato Picadillo
30 minutes or fewer
Like most versions of the hash-like Latin American classic, this picadillo would be great served with rice, polenta, or tortillas.
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained, juices reserved
- ⅓ cup dark raisins
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped green onions
1. Place potatoes and 1/4 cup water in medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover, and cook on high power 3 minutes. Uncover potatoes; cool 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin, and stir 10 seconds. Add chickpeas, raisins, oregano, and potatoes; sauté 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, vinegar, and cloves. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors. (Add reserved chickpea liquid if mixture seems dry.) Stir in 1/2 cup green onions. Serve sprinkled with remaining 1/2 cup green onions.
March 2013 p.76