Chickpea and Red Cabbage Pita Pizzas with Toasted Cumin
Generous toppings make this a fork-and-knife pizza. Save leftover cabbage for sandwiches.
1. Position rack just below center of oven. Place large rimmed baking sheet on rack, and preheat to 450°F.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage, and toss to coat. Add vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to simmer. Cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until cabbage is just tender. Remove from heat, stir in honey, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Toast cumin in small skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until seeds get darker and very fragrant. Cool. Grind in spice grinder or coffee grinder.
4. Drop garlic and salt into food processor while running, and finely chop. Add 1 1/4 cups chickpeas, 1/4 cup water or reserved chickpea liquid, 1 1/2 tsp. cumin, and pepper. Blend to coarse purée. Transfer to bowl, and mix in 3 Tbs. cilantro.
5. Brush tops of pitas with remaining 11/2 tsp. oil. Heat heavy skillet over high heat. Add 1 pita, oiled side down, to skillet. Cook 2 minutes, or until crisp on bottom, pressing flat with spatula. Repeat with remaining pitas.
6. Spread chickpea purée on crisp side of each pita leaving 1/2-inch border. Top each with 1/3 cup red cabbage, then dot with cheese. Press remaining 1/4 cup whole chickpeas into topping. Sprinkle each pita with large pinch of remaining 1/2 tsp. cumin. Transfer pizzas to baking sheet with spatula, and bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until toppings are heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbs. cilantro.