Chickpea, Beet, and Apple Panini
30 minutes or fewer
Never had raw beet in a sandwich? This panini will have you hooked.
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbs. vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- 8 slices sesame semolina bread (8 oz.)
- 1 medium golden beet, peeled and sliced
- 1 Granny smith apple, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup broccoli or radish sprouts
- 4 Tbs. prepared black olive tapenade
1. Pulse chickpeas, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and tarragon in food processor until chunky.
2. Spread chickpea mixture on 4 bread slices. Top with beet and apple slices, and sprouts. Spread remaining 4 bread slices with tapenade; close sandwiches.
3. Spray panini with cooking spray. Coat skillet or grill pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Place panini in pan; weight with smaller-diameter saucepan weighted with 2 cans. Cook 3 minutes. Flip, replace weight, and cook 2 minutes. (Or cook 4 minutes in panini maker.)
July/August 2011 p.36