Chickpea Salad with Fennel and Artichokes
This protein-packed salad
can be served in pita halves for handheld sandwiches that won’t slip or drip when eaten standing up.
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (1 cup)
- ½ medium fennel bulb, finely diced (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 12-oz. jar water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and quartered
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
1. Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and fennel, and cook 7 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and olives, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
2. Transfer onion mixture to medium bowl, and stir in lemon juice, vinegar, and remaining 3 Tbs. oil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in minced rosemary. Let stand at least 20 minutes to combine flavors.