Chickpea Stew with
Preserved lemons add a fragrant, slightly bitter layer to Mediterranean dishes. Note: Quick-Preserved Lemons sub-recipe takes 3 days to cure.
- 7 medium carrots, halved and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. Quick-Preserved Lemons, finely chopped
- 3 dried dates, pitted and chopped (¼ cup)
- 5 oz. baby kale or baby chard (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss carrots with 1 Tbs. oil, season with salt and pepper (if desired), and roast 30 minutes, or until just tender.
2. Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook
7 to 10 minutes, or until starting to color. Add garlic and spices, sauté 1 minute, then stir in chickpeas, preserved lemons, and 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook
5 minutes. Add carrots and dates, and simmer 5 minutes more. Add kale to pot, cover, and cook 2 minutes, or until kale wilts. Remove from heat, and stir
in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
December 2013 p.64