Chickpea Tikka Masala
30 minutes or fewer
This mild veg version of an Indian restaurant favorite shows that Indian food doesn’t have to be ultra-spicy to be good.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 Tbs. garam masala
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add
onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add garam masala, tomato paste, ginger, and
serrano chile, and season with salt, if desired.
Sauté 1 minute more.
2. Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in yogurt and cilantro.
March 2014 p.24