Chilled Heirloom Tomato Soup
An excellent player in a larger menu, this soup
comes together very quickly, and can be made a day ahead for easy entertaining.
- 3 lb. red and orange heirloom tomatoes (or Roma tomatoes)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped (½ cup)
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 ½ Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. sriracha chile-garlic sauce
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 3 cups coconut water
- ⅓ cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 cup halved heirloom cherry tomatoes
1. Halve large tomatoes; scoop out seeds and juicy interior over bowl. Pour and press seeds through fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth over bowl to extract juice. Discard seeds, and set juice aside. Chop remaining tomato shells, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in cumin seeds, tomato paste, and sriracha, then add bell pepper and chopped tomatoes. Simmer 5 to 6 minutes. Cool.
3. Transfer mixture to blender. Add reserved tomato juice, lime juice, coconut water, and coconut milk, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper,
if desired, and chill.
4. To serve, pour soup into small cups, lightly drizzle with coconut milk, and garnish with cherry tomatoes.