Chilled Tofu Salad with Ginger, Green Onions, Asparagus, and Sesame
30 minutes or fewer
The combination of cool, custardy tofu with a tart sesame vinaigrette makes for a refreshing low-fat lunch. Feel free to substitute other diced steamed vegetables, such as zucchini, snap peas, or green beans, for the asparagus.
- 4 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. mirin
- 2 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ¼ tsp. chili oil
- 12 oz. asparagus, trimmed
- 20 oz. silken tofu, drained and cut into 2-inch squares (8 squares total)
- 2 green onions, minced (¼ cup)
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 3 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1. To make Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in small bowl, and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. To make Tofu Salad: Place asparagus in microwave-safe dish with ¼ cup water; cook on high 45 to 60 seconds, or until crisp-tender. Rinse asparagus under cold water, drain, and wrap in paper towels to dry. Slice into ¼-inch coins. Divide asparagus among 4 shallow bowls.
3. Center 2 pieces tofu atop asparagus on each bowl. Mound green onions and ginger atop tofu, and sprinkle sesame seeds over each dish. Drizzle 2 Tbs. Vinaigrette around tofu, and serve.
July/August 2008 p.37