Chilled Tomato Soup with Cilantro Pesto
Perfectly ripe tomatoes reign supreme in this refreshing soup. Prepare it several hours in advance so it has time to chill completely. The cilantro pesto makes a flavorful addition. It can also be used on pasta or grilled vegetables.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 lbs. ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbs. toasted sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 Tbs. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- In large nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes are completely softened, about 25 minutes.
- In food processor or blender, process mixture, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Strain through fine-mesh sieve into large bowl, using a rubber spatula to press mixture through mesh. Add sugar and salt to taste. Cover and chill soup at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Make pesto: In blender or food processor, combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, almonds, cheese, lemon juice and broth. Process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl when necessary. With motor running, gradually add oil through feed tube and process until well blended. Transfer pesto to small bowl.
- Ladle soup into shallow bowls. Garnish each serving with pesto lightly swirled into soup.
Note: Toast almonds in small, dry skillet over medium heat, frequently shaking pan, until almonds are lightly browned, about 4 minutes.