Chocolate-Chile Mole Meringues
These cookies taste like a cross between a dense chocolate brownie and a light, crispy meringue. Ancho chile powder is a sweet, mild flavoring now carried in the spice section of most supermarkets and gourmet shops. If youre not into spicy sweets, simply omit it.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick sheet pan liners.
- Melt chocolate in microwave on medium power 30 seconds. Stir, and heat 30 seconds more. Continue heating and stirring until chocolate is completely melted.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar. Increase beater speed to high. Whip until stiff peaks form when beaters are raised. Add chile powder, lime juice, vanilla and cinnamon; beat briefly to mix.
- Gently fold melted chocolate into egg whites with rubber spatula, leaving some streaks of white. Fold in nuts.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls 1 1/2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets, and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Store in airtight container.