Chocolate Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
No one will ever guess this luscious cake is made without wheat flour. For a minty variation, simply add 2 tsp. peppermint extract to the frosting. Decorate with gluten-free
candies from naturalcandystore.com. (We used Black Ace Red Licorice.)
- 1 ¼ cups white rice flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 ½ cups Dutch process cocoa powder
- 4 ½ tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 ¼ cups low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) nonhydrogenated margarine or unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) nonhydrogenated margarine or unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 3 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
To make Cake:
1. Sift together rice flour, coconut flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, applesauce, and sour cream in small bowl.
2. Cream margarine and sugar with electric mixer 2 minutes, or until fluffy and smooth. Add eggs 2 at a time, then egg whites, beating well before each addition, and scraping down sides of bowl with spatula between additions. Beat in vanilla extract. Add one-third flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Add one-third buttermilk mixture, and beat until smooth. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk mixture until all ingredients are combined.
3. Divide batter among prepared cake pans. Bake 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then unmold, and cool completely.
To make Frosting:
1. Beat margarine and cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl, if necessary. Beat in confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time until smooth, thick frosting forms. Frost Cake with 3/4 cup frosting between each layer and remaining frosting covering top and sides of Cake. Decorate with candies, if desired.