Chunky Mushroom Ragu
Makes 3 cups
30 minutes or fewer
Need a switch from tomato sauce? This hearty mushroom
topping is just the ticket for pasta, grilled tofu, greens, or even eggs.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs. dried Italian herb seasoning (mixed herbs)
- 6 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as buttons, portobellos, and shiitakes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and Italian seasoning; sauté 6 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic; sauté 10 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to brown.
2. Add wine; cook 2 minutes, or until most of wine has evaporated. Stir in broth and soy sauce; simmer 6 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in parsley just before serving.
January 2010 p.40