Cinnamon-Apple French Toast
30 minutes or fewer
Tart apples like Pippin, Empire, Winesap, and Granny Smith retain their shapes when cooked, so choose them for this recipe.
- 4 large tart, firm apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups plain or vanilla soymilk
- ½ cup apple butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 12 slices soft-crust French bread, sliced ½-inch-thick
1. To make Topping: Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté apples 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Reduce heat to medium. Add sugar and cinnamon, and cook 5 to 10 minutes more, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice, and remove from heat.
2. To make French Toast: Blend soymilk, apple butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in blender until smooth. Pour into shallow bowl.
3. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Dip bread slices into batter, coating evenly. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Place 2 slices bread on each plate, and divide topping among servings.
October 2006 p.38