Classic Greek Salad
Soaking onion slices in a red wine
vinaigrette tames their bite while flavoring the vinaigrette with onion.
- 1 medium red or sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, quartered, and cut into ½-inch-thick slices (2 cups)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges (2 cups)
- ½ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, optional
1. Place onion, oil, vinegar, sugar, and oregano in 1-qt. resealable plastic bag. Seal, and shake to coat onion with liquid. Refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight.
2. Toss together lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, and olives (if using) in bowl. Add onions and vinaigrette, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
April/May 2011 p.76