Classic Waldorf Salad
30 minutes or fewer
Created in the 1890s at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City, and noted in Cole Porter’s 1934 tune “You’re the Top,” Waldorf Salad
was once the be-all and end-all of culinary elegance.
- ¾ cup broken walnut pieces
- 4 10-inch celery stalks, cut into 3/8-inch dice (2 cups)
- 2 red-skinned apples, cored and cut into ½-inch dice (3 cups)
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves
- ½ cup light or vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. honey
- 1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1. To make Salad: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown and fragrant. Cool.
2. Combine celery, apples, grapes, and toasted walnuts in large bowl.
3. To make Dressing: Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, and parsley in bowl. Toss with Salad. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve, arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each plate. Top each with 1 cup Salad.
April/May 2012 p.61