30 minutes or fewer
For her all-season soup, Deb Barley of Elizabethtown, PA, says you can use almost any vegetables for the add-ins—thinly sliced celery, sugar snap peas cut into pieces, cut-up green beans, or whatever you have on hand. Serve with bread and a tossed salad.
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried and crushed
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 ½ cups frozen chopped spinach or other greens
- 1 ½ cups diced zucchini or other vegetable such as carrots, potatoes, etc.
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered (1 cup) or 1 medium tomato, diced
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups cooked small pasta (shells, bows, etc.)
- 1 ½ cups cooked lentils or other legume
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté garlic and scallions 2 minutes, or until tender. Add mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes more, or until mushrooms begin to brown. Stir in rosemary, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add stock and spinach, zucchini and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Add corn, pasta and lentils; cook until heated; serve hot.