Coconut Milk Couscous with Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples
30 minutes or fewer
New Orleans–based reader Kathleen Wiltz loves adding coconut milk to her cold-weather dishes for a bit of tropical flair.
To save time on this recipe,
look for fresh butternut squash cubes in the refrigerated produce section of the supermarket.
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 apples, cored and cubed
- 4 Tbs. butter, divided
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 3 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- 1½ cups couscous
- 2½ cups coconut milk beverage, such as Silk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup golden raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place squash and apples in baking dish, and add 2 1/2 Tbs. water. Roast
2. Melt 3 Tbs. butter with brown sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon in small saucepan over medium heat.
Stir into squash and apples, and roast 10 to 15 minutes more, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, combine couscous with remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon in medium bowl.
4. Combine coconut milk, salt, and remaining 1 Tbs. butter in small saucepan, and bring to
a boil. Pour over couscous, cover, and let sit 15 minutes, then stir in raisins. Divide couscous among
6 plates, and top with squash
December 2013 p.10