- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 cups (½ pkg.) frozen peas and carrots
- 8 green onions, finely chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
1. Place rice and 10 cups water in large saucepan, and season with salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook 2 hours, or until mixture is thick and porridge-like and rice grains have disintegrated, adding up to 2 cups more water if necessary.
2. Meanwhile, coat nonstick pan with cooking spray, and sauté mushrooms 5 to 7 minutes over medium-high heat, or until browned and crispy.
3. Stir peas and carrots into congee, and remove from heat. Let congee stand 5 minutes.
4. Ladle congee into bowls. Top each serving with mushrooms, green onions, and chopped peanuts.September 2011 p.54