Corn and Chipotle Soup with Avocado-Radish Salsa
30 minutes or fewer
Canned chipotle chiles add heat and a wonderful smokiness to this sweet soup.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1 ½ cups)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels or 1 1-lb. pkg. frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 3 large radishes, diced (⅓ cup)
- ½ avocado, peeled and diced (½ cup)
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and coriander, and cook 1 minute. Set aside ½ cup corn for garnish; add remaining corn, broth, and chiles to pot; bring to a simmer. Cover, and simmer 7 minutes. Stir in almond milk. Purée mixture with immersion blender, and season with salt, if desired.
2. Combine radishes and avocado in bowl. Stir in lime juice. Serve soup garnished with 2 Tbs. avocado mixture, a sprinkling of corn kernels, and cilantro (if using).
October 2012 p.32