Corn and Red Pepper Caesar Salad
This rendition of the Caesar salad bolsters the lettuce with added vegetables for a full-meal dish. Serve with fresh, warm baguettes and chilled fruit for a summertime repast. Dress as desired and refrigerate any leftover dressing.
- If using fresh corn, carefully slice kernels from cobs and place in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and refrigerate until serving time.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs in rapidly boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water until cool. Peel and set aside until serving time.
- Trim off stem end of lettuce and rinse each leaf well. Dry thoroughly and break into bite-sized pieces. Place in salad bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk together 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add diced peppers and cooled corn to lettuce. Toss with croutons. Grate cooled eggs over top and toss with dressing. Garnish salad with remaining 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Corn, sweet red pepper and a salty Parmesan cheese will match well with a Chardonnay. Try the Devil’s Lair Margaret River Chardonnay.