Corn and Red Pepper Caesar Salad
30 minutes or fewer
This rendition of the Caesar salad
bolsters the lettuce with added vegetables for a full-meal dish. Serve with fresh, warm baguettes and chilled fruit for a summertime repast. Dress as desired and refrigerate any leftover dressing.
- 4 ears corn on the cob or 3 cups canned corn kernels, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium-sized head romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups garlic croutons
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, or to taste
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If using fresh corn, carefully slice kernels from cobs and place in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and refrigerate until serving time.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs in rapidly boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and run under cold water until cool. Peel and set aside until serving time.
- Trim off stem end of lettuce and rinse each leaf well. Dry thoroughly and break into bite-sized pieces. Place in salad bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk together 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add diced peppers and cooled corn to lettuce. Toss with croutons. Grate cooled eggs over top and toss with dressing. Garnish salad with remaining 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Corn, sweet red pepper and a salty Parmesan cheese will match well with a Chardonnay. Try the Devil’s Lair Margaret River Chardonnay.