If your corn is very fresh and tender, you can skip the blanching step in this recipe; just stir the raw kernels into the salad.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
1. To make Salad: Bring quinoa, salt, and 1½ cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Set aside, covered, 10 minutes.
2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in separate saucepan. Add corn, and cook 1 minute. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Drain again. Stir together corn, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumber, and quinoa in bowl.
3. To make Dressing: Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth. Stir into Salad.
July/August 2010 p.54