Cornmeal Pancakes with Pomegranate-Pear Compote
30 minutes or fewer
This colorful compote is lightly sweetened with pomegranate molasses, which can be found in well-stocked supermarkets and most Middle Eastern grocery stores.
- 1 large Bartlett pear, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch dice (1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Tbs. pomegranate molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups plain kefir
- ½ cup thawed frozen corn, or drained canned corn
- 2 large eggs
1. To make Compote: Stir together all ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
2. To make Pancakes: Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in large bowl.
3. Blend kefir, corn, and eggs in blender until smooth. Pour kefir mixture into flour mixture, and stir in until just combined. (It’s OK if there are some small lumps.)
4. Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Scoop 3 Tbs. batter for each pancake, and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Compote.
October 2013 p.64