Cranberry Burst Citrus Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins
30 minutes or fewer
Feel free to substitute roughly chopped organic dried dates for the cranberries.
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal
- ½ cup (1 stick) soy margarine, softened
- ⅔ cup organic unrefined sugar crystals, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- ½ cup plain soymilk, divided
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Bring cranberries and orange juice to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Drain off excess liquid; set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Set aside. Whisk 6 Tbs. water into flaxseed meal in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream margarine, sugar crystals, and orange zest with electric mixer
2 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in flaxseed mixture. Fold one-third of flour mixture into margarine mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup soymilk. Repeat, ending with flour mixture. Fold in cranberries.
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups; sprinkle with sugar crystals. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Cool in muffin pan set on wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if using.
May/June 2010 p.70