Fresh cranberries tame the sweetness of a traditional pecan pie.
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries
- 1 9-inch prepared piecrust
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecan halves on baking sheet, and toast 5 to 7 minutes in oven, or until lightly browned and fragrant. (Do not overbake; pecans burn quickly.)
2. Meanwhile, lightly crush cranberries until broken, but not mashed. Spread in bottom of piecrust.
3. Whisk together eggs and sugar in bowl. Whisk in brown sugar, honey, butter, orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in pecans, then pour filling over cranberries in piecrust, redistributing pecans and cranberries with fork, if necessary. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of pie comes out clean. Serve warm.
December 2012 p.65