Creamy Mushroom Quesadillas
30 minutes or fewer
Serve these hearty mushroom-filled quesadillas with a prepared black bean–and-corn salsa on the side.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 12 oz. white mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cumin, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until mushrooms have released their juices. Uncover, and cook 3 to 5 minutes
more, or until mushroom juices have evaporated. Remove pan from heat,
and stir in cream cheese and Cheddar.
2. Spread 1/2 cup of mushroom mixture over one half of each tortilla, leaving
1/2-inch border around outer edges.
Fold over tortillas to enclose filling
and form half-moon shapes.
3. Coat large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Cook quesadillas 2 to 3 minutes each, turning once, or until both sides are light brown and filling is hot and melted.
April/May 2014 p.34