Creamy Mushroom Tart with Brown Rice Crust
Cooked brown rice makes an excellent quick—and gluten-free—press-in crust for savory pies and tarts. If you can’t find Manchego, a mild, semi-firm Spanish cheese that melts well, just substitute Swiss or Monterey Jack.
Ingredient Set Name:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 8-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
To make Brown Rice Crust:
2. Combine rice and egg whites in small bowl. Press mixture into pie dish. Bake 10 minutes.
To make Mushroom Filling:
3. Heat 1 Tbs. butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add all mushrooms, onion, thyme and rosemary, and sauté 15 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated. Transfer to bowl using slotted spoon; remove rosemary and thyme sprigs.
4. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. butter in same skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and fold into mushroom mixture; add cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Pour filling into crust. Bake 30 minutes, or until top of tart is browned. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.