Creamy Old-Fashioned Yogurt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups light or heavy cream
- ⅓ cup instant skim milk powder, optional
- ¼ cup organic live-culture plain yogurt or 5 g freeze-dried yogurt culture
1. Heat milk and cream to scalding point (170°F; 77°C) in saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk in skim milk powder, if using. Remove from heat, and let cool 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until milk temperature reaches 110° to 120°F (44° to 49°C) on instant-read thermometer, stirring once or twice.
2. Whisk together yogurt and 1/2 cup milk mixture in bowl. Whisk yogurt mixture into remaining milk. Pour into clean container(s), secure lid(s), and place in yogurt maker. Set timer for 8 to 10 hours. Check 1 container after 8 hours; if yogurt has reached desired tartness and texture, remove cups from yogurt maker, and refrigerate. If not, replace test cup, and continue to ferment 1 to 2 hours more. Chill completely before serving.April/May 2011 p.48