Creamy Tomato-Basil Bisque
30 minutes or fewer
“Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes aren’t tinny-tasting like some canned varieties,” says Beverly Lynn Bennett, author of Vegan Bites and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking. Fire roasted over natural hardwood, they have a sweet, smoky flavor that's great in soup.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (½ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 28-oz. cans Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup half-and-half or soy creamer
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, basil, bay leaf, and broth. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
2. Purée soup in blender or food processor until smooth. Strain through fine mesh strainer into saucepan; return to simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with basil.