Crème Fraîche Mushroom Gravy
Makes 2 cups
Crème fraîche, a thickened cream that can be boiled without curdling, gives this gravy a rich, velvety texture.
- 1 Tbs. safflower oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 6 cups sliced stemmed cremini mushrooms (1 lb.)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. brandy, optional
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups Rich Vegetable Broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. crème fraîche
- ⅛ tsp. ground allspice
- Finely chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish, optional
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and stir 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add mushrooms, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté 12 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and browned and juices have cooked away, leaving skillet dry.
2. Add brandy (if using), and stir 1 minute, or until brandy has completely cooked away.
3. Sprinkle flour over mixture in skillet. Toss 2 minutes, or until flour is absorbed and begins to smell “browned.” Mix in 1/2 cup Rich Vegetable Broth. Stir 1 minute, or until broth and flour form thick sauce. Add remaining 1 cup broth, and bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Boil 10 minutes, or until gravy coats spoon and falls off in thick drops. Mix in crème fraîche and allspice. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Transfer gravy to serving vessel. Garnish with parsley, if using.
November 2013 p.50