Creole Veggie Rice and Beans
30 minutes or fewer
As Creole recipes go, this one is lightly spicy. Feel free to kick it up with extra mustard and Creole seasoning.
- ⅔ cup Arborio rice
- 1 ⅓ cups frozen black-eyed peas (6 oz.)
- 1 cup peeled, cubed sweet potato
- 2 small bell peppers (preferably 1 green and 1 red), cut into ½-inch strips
- 8 fresh okra pods
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mustard greens, tightly packed, plus 4 large leaves for garnish
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Creole mustard or any coarse-grain mustard
- 1 Tbs. Creole seasoning, optional
- 1 Tbs. light molasses
1. Coat grill basket or grill pan with cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat.
2. Place rice in saucepan, and cover with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add black-eyed peas and sweet potato, and cook 8 minutes more. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Transfer to large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, arrange bell pepper strips and okra in prepared grill basket or on grill pan. Grill 6 to 8 minutes, or until slightly charred and tender, turning once. Add grilled vegetables and chopped mustard greens to bowl with rice mixture.
4. Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, Creole seasoning (if using), and molasses in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, then stir into rice mixture.
5. Arrange 1 mustard green leaf on each plate. Top with 11/2 cups rice and beans mixture.
July/August 2013 p.34