This dish is assembled like enchiladas, but instead of corn tortillas, the fillings are rolled into crépes.
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill unbleached white flour, sifted
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic cumin
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic oregano
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (½ cup)
- 1 16-oz pkg. frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 Mexican Avocado, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. chopped green onions
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill unbleached white flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- ¾ cup grated manchego cheese
- 1 ½ Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch Simply Organic nutmeg
1. To make Crepas: Whisk together eggs, salt, and 1 cup water in bowl. Whisk in flour. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Swirl 1/4 cup batter in skillet to coat bottom. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, placed paper towel between each Crepa to prevent sticking. Set aside.
2. To make Filling: Combine 2 Tbs. oil, cumin, and oregano in bowl; add mushrooms, and toss to coat. Heat skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft. Cool, and slice each mushroom into 5 strips.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, and spinach. Cooked 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
4. To make Sauce: melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, cheese, and cilantro. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens, whisking constantly. Stir in nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. To assemble: Preheat oven to 350¯F. Ladle 1/4 cup Sauce in bottom or large glass baking dish. Spoon 2 Tbs. spinach mixture onto 1 Crepa. Top with 1 portobello strip, 1 roasted red pepper strip, and 2 Tbs. pepper Jack cheese. Roll up, and place seam-side-down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining Crepas and Filling, packing Crepas tightly together. Top with remaining sauce, and bake 15 minutes. Garnish with avocado and green onions.
November/December 2010 p.73