Crispy Baked French Fries
Better than any fast-food fries, this healthy homemade version is baked instead of fried. As a welcome bonus, the skins can be left on the potatoes for extra crispness.
2 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed, with or without peels.
2 tsp. butter, melted, or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. With sharp knife, cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut slices into french fry–shaped pieces.
- Pour melted butter or oil into medium bowl. Add potato sticks, and toss to coat. Spread on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, then turn potatoes and bake until crisp, about 30 minutes. While still warm, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Substitute sweet potatoes for baking potatoes.
- Spicy French Fries: Stir 1/4 tsp. each cayenne pepper and chili powder into butter or oil before tossing with potatoes.
- Herbed French Fries: Stir 1/4 tsp. each dried oregano, basil and crushed rosemary into butter or oil before tossing with potatoes.