Crunchy Pink Pickled Sunchokes
Makes 4 cups pickles
A thinly sliced beet gives these spicy-tart pickles a gorgeous rosy color. Serve them as a side dish or use in salads
or on sandwiches.
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 1 Tbs. whole yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. whole cloves
- 1 medium beet, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lb. sunchokes, peeled and quartered
1. Bring vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, coriander, red pepper flakes, cloves, and 3 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Add beet, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add sunchokes, and cool.
2. Divide vegetables among 6 8-oz. canning jars, with slotted spoon. Cover vegetables with pickling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Place lids on jars, and refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving. Pickles will keep up to 1 month.
November 2013 p.65