Crustless Leek, Greens, and Herb Quiche
30 minutes or fewer
Make a quiche for dinner with your favorite greens, then save a slice for lunch with a salad
or raw veggies the next day.
- 2 Tbs. fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 small leeks, white and light green parts halved and sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard, kale, collard greens, or mustard greens
- 4 egg whites
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 oz. soft goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat bottom and sides of 9-inch glass pie dish with olive oil cooking spray. Scatter breadcrumbs over bottom of pie dish.
May/June 2010 p.63
2. Bring 4 cups salted water to a boil in large pot. Add leeks; boil 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat, add Swiss chard, and let stand 30 to 45 seconds, or until greens are wilted. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again, squeezing out excess water with hands. Set aside.
3. Whisk egg whites until frothy. Whisk in eggs. Whisk in milk and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Whisk in tarragon and basil.
4. Scatter leeks and Swiss chard over breadcrumbs in prepared pie dish. Dot cheese on top. Pour egg mixture into pie pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.