Cumin-Cayenne Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
These mashed potatoes are "so rich and satisfying, I sometimes just serve them with plain tofu," Chef Bryant Terry admits.
- 2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup unflavored rice milk
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh thyme
1. Boil potatoes in enough water to cover 25 minutes, or until soft.
2. Meanwhile, sautè onion, oil, cumin, salt, and cayenne in skillet over low heat 30 minutes, or until browned. Stir in rice milk and thyme.
3. Drain potatoes, and mash. Whisk onion mixture into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.