Curried Apples and “Chicken”
A hint of India peeks through in this hearty apple and "chicken" dish, spiked with lashes of hot—or mild—curry powder. Serve over Indian
basmati rice, and pass with yogurt and flat Indian bread.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. hot or mild curry powder, or to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- ¾ cup apple juice or apple cider
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 6-oz. pkg. “chicken” strips
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 apple, cored and diced, skin on
- ½ cup dry-roasted peanuts for garnish
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and stir in turmeric and curry powder. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in onions and ginger, and cook 5 minutes more.
2. Pour 1/4 cup apple juice into small bowl, and whisk in cornstarch. Pour mixture and apple juice into skillet, and add “chicken” strips, mushrooms and apple. Cook until mixture thickens slightly, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. To serve, remove from heat, and spoon over rice. Sprinkle with peanuts as garnish.