Curried Butternut Squash Risotto with Cashews
30 minutes or fewer
Using a microwave speeds up the cooking time of risotto and eliminates the constant stirring. (The recipe was tested in a 1,000-watt microwave oven, so cooking time may need to be adjusted if your microwave has a lower wattage.) Be sure to cover the casserole each time it goes into the microwave.
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, plus additional as necessary
- 1 cup prepared butternut squash soup
- 1½ tsp. mild curry powder
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup chopped raw or roasted cashews
- 3 Tbs. light coconut milk
1. Combine broth, soup, curry powder, and turmeric in large glass measuring cup or bowl.
October 2010 p.28
2. Combine oil and onion in 11/2-qt. microwave-safe casserole with lid. Cover, and microwave 2 minutes on high power. Stir in rice and wine, and cook 2 minutes on high. Stir in 1 cup soup mixture; cook 5 minutes on high. Stir in another 1 cup soup mixture; cook 10 minutes on high, stirring halfway through cooking time. Stir in 1/2 cup soup mixture; cook 4 minutes on high. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup soup mixture; cook 2 minutes on high. 3. Stir in cashews and coconut milk, and cook 1 minute on high. Taste. If rice is too hard, add additional broth 1/4 cup at a time, and continue cooking on high, covered, in 1-minute intervals, until rice is tender and chewy.