Curried Carrot Soup with Roasted Pistachios
30 minutes or fewer
Vadouvan spice, a French-style curry blend, lends a subtle heat to this soup.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 20-oz. pkg. grated carrots (8 cups)
- 2 large leeks, light green and white parts thinly sliced (2 cups)
- ¼ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. vadouvan spice or curry powder
- ¼ cup roasted shelled pistachios, chopped
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, leeks, and baking soda. Cover, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are tender and browned in spots. Stir in vadouvan spice, and cook 30 seconds. Add 4 cups water, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, purée with immersion blender, and season with salt, if desired. Serve sprinkled with pistachios.
October 2012 p.30